Saturday, September 5, 2009

A little project...

My good friend Audra and I were at the bookstore this morning. We both have been a bit down for a "minute" and sensed it would be good to steep ourselves in books. I have always found solace and comfort in books. When I was an awkward kid with crazy curly hair, a thick middle and less than adequate social skills I used to escape into books for hours. Whether it be the Sweet Valley Twins, a Nancy Drew Mystery or the always checked out "Are you there God, it is me Margaret?", I escaped into the pages of books. Even in college, I was a voracious reader, tackling anything and everything because it relaxed me...took my mind off and my body seemed to somehow follow.

Then law school came and reading took on a new meaning to me. It was no longer fun. It was work. Hard work. I read with a pen and a highlighter instead of an open and hungry mind. The assignments each night so voluminous, it was almost impossible to get it all done. And along came the skim....

Law school is 7 years past now and I a just getting to the point where I can read an entire paragpraph. Even if the main idea is easy to spot, I want the other words too. Because life is not just about the main idea. When you read "the supporting sentences," you get so much more. The main ideas are great, they just can't get you through on a blistery winter evening or a hot summer night. Thank goodness for the supporting sentences.

My life has taken an unexpected turn. I am a (nearly) divorced mother of 2 running around like a crazy woman trying to get everyone everywhere they need to be, at the time they need to be there. I am not sure what my family looks like anymore. Ben has the kids as much as I do and I suddenly have found this freedom that I don't recall. I mean, there is plenty to do, but I have some time to pursue me for a minute.

At the bookstore this morning, I (actually Audra) found this book of 501 Must-Read books...and the books are from all genres. I decided to undertake the project of reading ALL of these books and blogging about them over the course of the next year or so. My best friend is always calling me dork...and maybe I am. But the release of just reading for the sake of it is what I need right now. And the intellectualization and just thinking about something other than the law...a jacuzzi bath for my mind.

I am going to read these books and give my feedback, thoughts and insights, while asking for comments from my people...I am reading for the sake of the sport. Please tune in...now where is that highlighter?????

2 comments:

  1. That is a really cool idea. I am a bookaholic. Always reading. I read to get away - like a vacation. But I learn so much. I can't wait to see what you are reading and what you think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't ever tell me again that you can't write.

    Dork. ;)

    ReplyDelete